Special Needs Tutoring for Autistic Students in Northern Ohio
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and autism are both general terms that describe a wide range of complex disorders of brain development. It is called a “spectrum” because individuals with autism are not all the same. Some cases are more severe than others and not all symptoms apply to each person.
Autism statistics from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicate that about 1 in 68 American children are on the autism spectrum.
Core autism symptoms are:
- Social-interaction difficulties
- Language impairment
- Repetitive behaviors
- Adaptive behavior difficulties:
- A collection of conceptual, social, and practical skills that all people learn to function in their daily lives.
Autism is often associated with intellectual disability, difficulties in motor coordination and attention and physical health issues.
Pervasive Developmental Disorder–Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS) and Asperger’s Syndrome are both on the autism spectrum.
Students diagnosed with a PDD-NOS fall into the following categories:
- The child is high-functioning, similarly to Asperger’s Syndrome, but also experiences mild cognitive issues or language delay.
- The child has similar symptoms to Autism, but symptoms began at a later age.
- The child has various Autism symptoms, but has fewer perseverative (obsessive repetitive) behaviors than those with Autism.
North Coast Education Services understands that every child in the world is completely unique. No two children learn exactly the same way. We recognize that it is especially true for students with learning disabilities like autism.
NCES selects specially trained tutors to work one-on-one with your student – matching their experience, personality, skill set and certifications to your child’s specific needs. We have more than 300 active tutors all over Northeast Ohio. Our highly-trained tutors know the best way to reach students. We look for tutors that are sensitive, flexible, patient and creative.
- Getting down on their level and making eye contact
- Speaking in a clear voice
- Knowing negative behavior is not personal, but signs of an overwhelmed student
- Limiting sensory issues, such as fluorescent lighting
- Allowing short breaks
- Creating transition time between activities
- Offering real choices
- Trying a multi-sensory approach
- Staying positive
- Providing a written or picture schedule
We offer one-on-one tutoring sessions and in-home schooling for autistic students. Tutoring can also be scheduled at a public or other private location of your choice.
North Coast Education Services is an Autism Scholarship provider, approved by the State of Ohio and the Department of Education. The Autism Scholarship Program was established in 2003 by the Ohio General Assembly. The scholarship provides funding to parents of qualified children with autism. It allows parents to select a private education provider, such as NCES, to help with their child’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
We work one-on-one with our students and their Individual Education Plan (IEP). Our Autism Scholarship students fall into two categories:
- Behavioral (lower functioning or younger children)
- Academic (students ready to take on academic subjects like math, reading, writing and much more.)
Our directors meet with our Academic families to develop customized curriculum. By working together with an NCES affiliate, we can help our clients qualify for high school diplomas. The program requires enrollment fees (very reasonable) and development of a customized education plan with NCES staff.
Students on the Autism Scholarship, may need support beyond their high school courses. We can creatively work with a student to explore careers and assist with the transition from school to work.
- Job Coaching
- Transition to Work support
Working through challenges can be hard, but it’s worth it. Know that your child is not alone and there are many people who have autism, including:
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Tim Burton
- Daryl Hannah
- Former Miss Montana Alexis Wineman
- Professor Temple Grandin
Contact us or call at 440-914-0200 for more information on how we can help your student.
- With Open Arms: A 72-page financial planning booklet from Easter Seals and the NEFE®.
- Temple Grandin: book and movie.
- Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon, which is also a Broadway play.
- Thoughtful Responses to Agitation, Escalation, and Meltdowns in Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders, which is presented by Rebecca Klaw and based on the book “The Explosive Child” by Dr. Ross Green. This video discusses the study of the effect of visual shifting of attention and meltdowns.
- Focus on Your Future, which focuses on connecting students’ interests to potential careers.
- Social Stories for Kids With Autism – The Ultimate Guide: from Autism Parenting Magazine
“As a parent, I needed to find a solution for my high-functioning autistic child when the school was just not understanding how to help him at all. My son didn’t fit into a one-size-fits-all curriculum. North Coast Tutoring Services provided exactly what we needed and so much more. NCTS was a life-saver for us!”
— Suzanne, Twinsburg
Ohio’s Autism Scholarship Program
North Coast Tutoring Services has been an Ohio Department of Education approved provider to the Autism Scholarship Program since its inception. We can help you find out more about it. This scholarship can benefit your child up to $27,000 per year.